top of page

Blue Plaques in Maldon

The Maldon Society researches, commissions, and maintains many Blue Plaques around Maldon. If you have an idea for where a plaque should be, or a person, building or subject that you feel should be marked, please get in touch.

United Reformed Church. The portico was added in 1876 and the Blue Plaque can be seen on the wall of the church.

The Reverend Joseph Billio, born in Hatfield Peverel in 1658, preached at the meeting house in 1696 to
400 Protestant Dissenters. It was through the enthusiasm and fervour of his preaching that the phrase ‘like Billio’ may have come into the English language. His portrait hangs in the vestry.

Union Workhouse. This building served as Maldon’s workhouse in 1834 and continued until 1873 when a new improved
Union Workhouse in Spital Road was opened, which is now St Peter’s Hospital. The original workhouse was intended only to take inmates of All Saints, St Peter’s and St Mary’s Parishes. In 1841, the Union Workhouse listed 80 males and 96 females, including 19 boys and 14 girls under 10 years, together with a master and his wife and son, and a schoolmaster and schoolmistress. The original building was converted into apartments.

Myra Sadd Brown, 'Mount View'. Myra was a renowned suffragette born and raised in Maldon the tenth of eleven children of John Granger Sadd and Mary Ann, who ran a successful firm of timber merchants in the town. She was involved in Sylvia Pankhurst's East London Federation of Suffragettes and would invite bus-loads of women from London's East End to this house. On 4 March 1912, Sadd Brown was arrested for throwing a brick through a window at the War Office,[4] for which she was sentenced to two months hard labour in Holloway Prison.

The Leech Sisters, 14 Lodge Road. In 1971 sisters Edna and Joan Leech bequeathed to the town 'The Leech Memorial Garden, located opposite this plaqu, following their tragic deaths in a plane crash. It is a charming and secluded green space in and the sisters, wished it to be preserved for public enjoyment, providing a peaceful retreat for residents and visitors alike.

The Moot Hall, High Street. The Grade I listed Moot Hall (D’Arcy’s Tower) is Maldon’s most historically important secular building. The building incorporates a police cell and exercise yard, 19th century court room, Council Chamber and panoramic rooftop views. The town clock with its five bell chimes was presented in 1881 by George Courtauld MP.

Edward Bright Snr, 57 & 59 High Street. Home to Edward Bright senior, the ‘fat man at Maldon’. When Edward died in November 1750 he weighed well over 40 stone. His remains are interred in a vault in All Saints’ Church. He left three young children and his widow, Mary, expecting another. He is commemorated in the Maldon Embroidery and a replica of his enormous waistcoat can be seen in Maldon Museum in the Park, near Promenade Park Entrance.

Edward Bright Jnr, Church House. This was the home of Edward Bright (junior), who like his father was a grocer. He was also a linen draper, candle maker and salt maker. His final venture, in 1789-90, was the construction of a salt-water bath, on the banks of the Blackwater. He was active in local politics and, in 1779, became leader of Maldon’s Whigs.

John Howard, 61 North Street. The former home of John Howard (1849-1915), a qualified naval architect and one of Maldon’s most famous barge builders. He was best known for his ‘stackie’ barges, known as ‘hay up and dung down’ because the barges were loaded with hay and straw at Maldon and returned with London horse muck for the clayfields by the River Blackwater.

© The Maldon Society 2025

bottom of page