The Society seeks to preserve all that is best in local architecture and ensure that any future development is in keeping with the town's ambience and overall design.The Society aims to promote and preserve the historical heritage of this town and its surrounding area by:
- encouraging civic pride in the area and promoting co-operation with other organisations
- encouraging high standards of planning and architecture by liaising with Councils on planning applications
- arranging well-advertised monthly talks of local interest, open to the public
- managing an informative website (maldonsoc.org) and producing a twice yearly Newsletter
- managing an Archive of photographs and drawings illustrating the history of the town, housed in the Maeldune Centre
- developing an oral history Archive by recording memories and stories from local residents
- being involved with Heritage weekends and the installation of Blue Plaques
Details of our activities can be found the appropriate page of this site. Those who share our aims can join the Society by paying a fee of £8 per person or £14 per couple. The membership fee covers the period from 1st April to 31st March. Contact Martin Pike on 0774 379 3066, email email@example.com, or download our membership form or newsletter for further information:
The locations of the Cygnet Room and Maeldune Centre are shown below:
Tesco ‘Bags of Help’ grant
We have recently been advised that we have been awarded a grant of £1000 under the Tesco ‘Bags of Help’ scheme. This scheme uses the money derived from the sale of plastic carrier bags to support community groups with local projects. The Maldon Society Oral History project now has a large collection of recordings of Maldonians talking about their memories of life in the town. The grant money will be put towards the purchase of audio/visual display equipment so that the recordings can be made available for everyone to enjoy.
Heritage Open Days 8th and 9th September 2018
Take part in a national celebration of England’s cultural and architectural heritage. Here in the historic town of Maldon, the Heritage Open Day events are taking place on 8th – 9th September. Many of the town’s lovely buildings will be open and stewards at each venue will be there to give you additional information. Various guided walks and talks will also be taking place.
For further information about the programme of events, check the town council’s website www.maldontowncouncil.gov.uk, Tel: 01621 857373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org